> On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:07 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 30 March 2017 at 08:36, Thomas Güttler <guettl...@thomas-guettler.de>
> wrote:
>> Why two repo providers, why two mailing lists. This confuses new comers.
>>
>> I think this is precise feedback.
>
> Because there is more than one project, and because the topics of
> discussion are different on the two.
> Paul

To expand upon this a little more, PyPA is not really a formal organization
where we dictate top down about how projects must operate. About the only
requirements we have are that your project relates in some way to Python’s
packaging toolchain and that you accept being bound by our CoC. Beyond that
projects under the PyPA banner are operated independently of each other with
their own policies and procedures and such. It provides some loose organization
and a “brand” but that’s really about all, so while most projects have opted to
use GitHub, not all of them have (and that’s ok!).

The two mailing lists are *largely* historical really, there was a time when
distutils-sig (and before that even, catalog-sig) was not a particularly
pleasant place to discuss things at and as such it made sense to try and
sequester yourself away from it for some kinds of discussions. This has gotten
a lot better in recent years and *most* mailing list like discussion tends to
happen here on distutils-sig. Couple that with the fact that the individual
projects tend to use their issue trackers to hold discussions that are specific
to their particular project and we could probably consolidate, but I also don’t
think it’s a big deal either.

—
Donald Stufft