On 28 July 2017 at 13:30, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 July 2017 at 01:32, Jason R. Coombs <jar...@jaraco.com> wrote:
>> I’d like feedback, in either ticket, about whether this change is worth the
>> trouble and if so if there are any ways to mitigate the risks of introducing
>> such a change.
>
> The one way I can see of doing this with a graceful transition period
> would be to implement it like this:
>
> 1. Switch to raw parsing with no interpolation as the default
> 2. Check the result for any field values containing either "%(<text>)s" or
> "%%"
> 3. If you find any, print a suitable deprecation warning and parse it
> again with interpolation enabled

Clarifying to add: I think this is a worthwhile change, as it helps to
ensure that the static config files actually *are* static, and hence
less dependent on being read specifically with Python's configparser
library. That's a boon for interoperability, even if it means that
folks that genuinely want interpolation will need to switch to a
"setup.cfg.in" style approach where they use the templating tool of
their choice to read in the input file, substitute values, and then
write out a completely static setup.cfg file.

Cheers,
NIck.