On 27 August 2017 at 13:41, Jeremy Kloth <jeremy.kl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Again, I see what is being developed here (PEP 517) as not that
> different from what has already been done with DB-API (PEP 249).  If
> databases can achieve consensus, I'm sure that build tools can too. :)

One difference with the DB-API is that DB exceptions are intended to
be seen by the user, to be caught and reported in application code.
The case we're discussing here is where a hook wants to report an
unusual, but normal, condition (that the backend discovers *at
runtime* that it can't do what has been requested of it) and the error
is to be handled by "the other end of the protocol" (the front end)
and is not for reporting to the user (except in the limited sense that
we're considering whether the return value/exception needs to carry
"why this failed" information that the frontend can report to the user
if it wishes to).

Paul