On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > As to using pip to build wheels -- there is good reason to do that
> > now, but in s post PEP 517 world, one would call the build system
> > directly to build a wheel-- after all, all pip should be  doing is
> > calling the build system anyway.
>
> I disagree - "pip wheel" will still be useful, for example to obtain a
> wheel from PyPI either by downloading or download & build. Also just
> to have a unified interface that works regardless of the project
> backend - if a project switches from setuptools to flit, for example,
> it would be good if deployment and test scripts didn't have to change.

Isn't that why we have PEP 517? I unified interface to build tools?

So I still expect pip wheel to be useful in a post-PEP 517 world.

Maybe so -- but all pip should be doing is passing off the job to the
back-end.

Again, the package manager, well, manages the packages. It shouldn't be
concerned with how to build them.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov