On 20 October 2017 at 22:18, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:

> The “existing installations” is horse shit, because existing
> implementations won’t support *any* new feature of anything so it can
> literally be used as a justification for doing nothing about anything
> except standardizing what already exists. I guess we shouldn’t have done
> PEP 517 or PEP 518 because, by your logic here, since it won’t be supported
> by existing tooling, there won’t be any incentive for people to use it ever.

No, because PEP 517 and 518 actually change the UX for *publishers* away
from setup.py to pyproject.toml + whatever build system they choose, while
allowing the definition of a *common* setup.py shim for compatibility with
older clients.

By contrast, it's relatively rare for people to edit entry_points.txt by
hand - it's typically a generated file, just like PKG-INFO.

For any *new* console_scripts replacement, you're also going to have define
how to translate it back to entry_points.txt for compatibility with older
pip installations, and that means you're also going to have to define how
to do that without conflicting with any other pkg_resources entry points
already declared by a package.

Those two characteristics mean that entry_points.txt has a lot more in
common with PKG-INFO than it does with setup.py, and that similarity is
further enhanced by the fact that it's a pretty easy format to document.

> So if you want to say it is neither pip's nor PyPI's responsibility to say
> anything one way or the other about the entry points format (beyond whether
> or not they're used to declare console scripts in a way that pip
> understands), then I agree with you entirely. This spec isn't something you
> personally need to worry about, since it doesn't impact any of the tools
> you work on (aside from giving pip's existing console_scripts
> implementation a firmer foundation from an interoperability perpsective).
>

> My objection has absolutely nothing to do with whether pip is the consumer
> or not. My objection is entirely based on the fact that a plugin system is
> no .a packaging related feature and it doesn’t become one because a
> packaging tool once added a plugin system.

You're acting like you believe you have veto power over this topic. You
don't - it's not a PyPI related concern, and it doesn't require any changes
to pip or warehouse.

I'd certainly be *happier* if you were only -0 rather than -1, but your
disapproval won't prevent me from accepting Thomas's PR either way.