On Tue, Dec 19, 2017, at 9:10 PM, Matthias Bussonnier wrote:
> One case I could see is the use of the requires_python metadata. It
> was not included in the recent release of Django 2.0 (which is py 3
> only) and making a new release will be useless as pip on py2 will
> still see Django 2.0.0 as Py 2 compatible download it and crash.
Something similar happened to pytest - version 3.3 dropped support for
Python 3.3 (the numbering is a coincidence,  AFAIK). The requires-python
metadata was set in the package, but the package was published via a
devpi server, which didn't preserve that metadata correctly to send to
PyPI. So now 'pip install pytest' on Python 3.3 downloads the new
version and fails, rather than downloading an older, compatible version.
The only way the project can fix this is to delete the releases with
incorrect metadata.
I support the larger goal of making metadata on PyPI match the metadata
in the package, however.
Thomas