On 1 June 2018 at 02:11, Wes Turner <wes.tur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, May 31, 2018, Matthias Klose <d...@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> On 26.05.2018 14:59, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>>
>> > Yep, after all the other entries. I actually think Debian/Ubuntu may
>> have
>> > changed their default set up as well somewhere along the line, but even
>> if
>> > they did, it potentially wouldn't change the settings for existing user
>> > profiles (depending on exactly how they implemented it).
>>
>> It's on the path by default in Debian and Ubuntu, only for new users
>> (~/.profile).
>

> I believe ~/.profile is copied from /etc/skel/.profile on most systems.

Right, but distro upgrades are now regularly reliable enough that folks may
go for years without creating a fresh user profile for themselves. For me
personally, even when I do set up a fresh machine with a clean Fedora
install, I'll rsync my old home directory over the top of the new one.

This kind of thing means that even when distros change their default
settings, a *lot* of users will still have the old default.