On Sun, Jun 24, 2018, at 7:19 AM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> What do you think? (Thomas, I'd love your thoughts in particular :-).)

I agree that it looks nicer, but I'm not sure that it's worth the added
complexity: is 'flit' equivalent to 'flit.__build_api__' (i.e. from flit import
__build_api__), or to 'flit:__build_api__' (import flit and get an attribute
called __build_api__)?

For Flit, I treat the buildsystem table as boilerplate, and 'flit init' inserts
it automatically. So the extra word in 'flit.buildapi' is a very minor
inconvenience.

There's also an argument that the explicit 'flit.builapi' is preferable for
understanding it: most packaging tools will use the name 'build' in various
places, so it's not necessarily obvious that __build_api__ is what's exposed to
the frontend. But that could largely be solved by docs and comments.

So I'm -0, but I'm probably biased: I would need to update various bits of code
and docs if we changed it (flit, intreehooks, the pep517 module). I agree that
if we do want to make changes like this, it's still feasible to do so at the
moment.

Thomas