On Fri, Sep 14, 2018, 07:27 Daniel Holth <dho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No one wants wheel to be able to install things outside of the virtualenv.
> What people have repeatedly asked for is the ability to install things
> somewhere besides $VIRTUAL_ENV/lib/python#.#/site-packages/, places like
> $VIRTUAL_ENV/etc/ for example.
> Should all the config files, documentation, data, man pages, licenses,
> images, go into $VIRTUAL_ENV/lib/python#.#/site-packages/? Or can we do a
> better job letting people put files in $VIRTUAL_ENV/xyz?

They certainly *can* all go in site-packages; it's just a directory, it can
contain anything. And there are some concrete benefits to having all the
package "stuff" together in one place: it makes the data easy to find when
starting from the code, everyone already understands the namespace
conventions, and it makes it harder for code and data to get inadvertantly
separated from each other.

What's the benefit of having a separate data dir? Just aesthetics, or are
there technical reasons too? Aesthetics is certainly worth *something* –
beautiful is better than ugly – but OTOH it'd be really nice if there were
one and only one obvious way to do it, and right now that's putting data
into site-packages. This is even blessed by the core import machinery:
https://docs.python.org/3.7/library/importlib.html#module-importlib.resources

(And if we do decide to double down on a data/ directory, then we should
talk to Brett and Barry about getting support for finding that directory
into importlib.resources.)

-n