Is this a useful data point in discussion of some sort of proposal for
external shared libraries?  I remember talking last year with Nathaniel and
Nick Coghlan about some sort of way to express dependencies on native
package managers, such as yum and apt, and perhaps others that are less
native, but still lower level than pip, such as conda, brew, and
chocolatey.

Would this discussion not have been a problem if python, libpq, and
psycopg2 were all linked against some reference external openssl, rather
than trying to do any of the vendoring game?  I suppose perhaps not, since
this seems to have been a mess even before, and the lack of cleanup of the
hacks for that mess seem to be the issue.  Still, maybe yes, because the
attempt to vendor may not have happened in the first place if it were more
standard practice to rely on shared libraries from an external provider.

I don't really want to dig into the details on this mailing list -
compatibility and making it work would/will be pretty hard in the general
case for all libraries on all OSes.  I know there's a lot of devilish
detail there.  I hope it can be a topic of discussion at the packaging
summit at PyCon this year.