Hi,

I'm posting here to raise awareness about a new Draft packaging
interoperability PEP I am proposing [1].

This document originated from the need to implement pip issue #609 [2],
ie improving the behavior of pip freeze in presence of distributions installed
from direct URL references.

In a thread [3] on discuss.python.org it was suggested a new PEP was needed
to standardize the recording of the required information in .dist-info.

After investigation, I found out PEP426 (now withdrawn) had a concept of
source_url metadata, which almost satisfied the requirement.
[1] is therefore a revival of source_url, with a different storage format
to allow for additional use cases.

Looking forward to reading your comments.

Best regards,

-sbi

[1] https://github.com/python/peps/pull/1009
[2] https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/609