Hi Emma,

On Sun, May 5, 2019, at 12:49 AM, Emma Tosch wrote:
> I have a project that I would like to post on PyPI that clashes with an
> existing project that I believe may be abandoned

I don't have the answers to your actual questions about who to contact. But
have you seen the rather stringent criteria for removing an abandoned project:

"""
Projects are never removed from the Package Index solely on the basis of
abandonment.
 * the candidate is able to demonstrate that the project suggested to reuse the
name already exists and meets notability requirements;
 * the candidate is able to demonstrate why a fork under a different name is
not an acceptable workaround;
"""

This is stricter than the criteria for taking over an abandoned project to
improve its code. By design, there's a very high bar to replace a name without
the consent of the original author. If there's any possibility of using a
different name, that might be easier.

Best wishes,
Thomas