> On 20 Aug 2019, at 23:47, Nick Timkovich <prometheus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 20, 2019, at 5:05 AM Matthew Brett <matthew.br...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>
>> ...  Unless you meant wheels for non-Intel platforms, in which case, please
>> do say more about you need.
>
> Minor tangent: I've seen some people use https://www.piwheels.org/ for
> Raspberry Pi (ARM 6/7), but could the ARM binaries be uploaded to PyPI?
>
> I think I'm conflating the wheel building spec (is manylinux amd64 specific,
> or as long as the libraries are on any architecture?), toolchains,
> environment (sounds like Piwheels provides a platform to build them on), and
> package hosting (can PyPI host arbitrary archs?) in that one sentence.

This issue may be of relevant: https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3668

And there are even more layers to this problem. Wheels on piwheels are
currently maintained by RPi folks; if they are going into PyPI, either package
maintainers need to take over uploading (and even building) them, or PyPI needs
a way to allow (qualified) people to upload stuffs for packages they don’t own.
And maintainers might decide that ARM is not their supported platform anyway,
and get us back to where we started.