On Sat, 24 Aug 2019 at 06:46, Phil Thompson <p...@riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:

> I have a PEP 517 compatible backend which works with pip to install from
> an sdist (via an internal wheel). However there are a couple of
> issues...
>
> pip swallows all output from the backend. Is there anyway for the user
> to see the output (builds can take several minutes)?

pip -v (or maybe -vv) should show this (plus a chunk of other stuff,
unfortunately, but we don't have any finer control over what gets
logged (and I'm not even sure what a good UI for something like that
would look like).

> I would like to pass options from the pip command line to the backend
> but neither --global-option or --install-option have any effect (the
> config_settings argument is always None). How do I achieve this?

That's basically "not implemented yet" (mostly because there's limited
need for it with existing backends). So the answer to that would be to
propose a PR for pip that adds support for config_settings. Sorry...

Paul