Last week I heard for the first time about the research project FASTEN
https://www.fasten-project.eu/. "FASTEN stands for Fine-Grained Analysis
of Software Ecosystems as Networks."

>  instead of analyzing dependencies at the package level, we will analyze them
> at the call graph level! This will allow us to be super precise when we are
> tracking dependencies, when we do change impact analysis, when we recommend
> clients to update packages etc. It will also open the door to new
> sophisticated applications, e.g. licensing compliance, dependency risk
> profiling and data-driven API evolution.

That's from the blog post by Georgios Gousios, the PI, at
http://www.gousios.gr/blog/Introducing-Fasten.html . More info:

https://www.fasten-project.eu/view/Main/Introduction

https://www.fasten-project.eu/view/Main/Overview

https://www.fasten-project.eu/view/Main/Contacts

And people who are interested in dynamically and statically analyzing
call graphs in Python may be interested in "Graph Schema and its
representation" in https://www.fasten-project.eu/view/Main/Deliverables .

I've sent a note to FASTEN inviting the team to come talk about their
project here on distutils-sig, because FASTEN's site says they aim to
eventually integrate into PyPI -- I'm not 100% sure whether that means
"create a service that people can use WITH PyPI" or "get FASTEN's work
incorporated into pypi.org".

--
Sumana Harihareswara
pip project manager on contract with Python Software Foundation