(Sending to the list this time.)

On 2020 Jun 26, at 15:43, David Mathog <dmat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So by what method could code working outside of python possibly determine that
> "yaml" goes with "PyYAML"?

By checking all *.dist-info/RECORD files to see which one mentions the "yaml"
directory.  (top_level.txt could also be checked, but I believe that only
setuptools creates this file — projects built with flit or poetry don't have it
— and it's not very helpful when namespace packages are involved.)

>  Is this a common situation?

It happens whenever the project "foo" distributes a module named something
other than "foo".  Other projects like this that I can think of off the top of
my head are BeautifulSoup4 (module: bs4), python-dateutil (module: dateutil),
and attrs (module: attr).

> Is pkg_resources actually a package?

pkg_resources is a module distributed by the setuptools project (alongside the
modules "setuptools" and "easy_install").

> Does it make sense for a common
> package repository to have a single instance of this directory or
> should each installed python based program retain its own version of
> this?

There should be one instance per each version of setuptools stored in the
repository.

-- John Wodder