I assume you’re building an sdist (e.g. a .tar.gz file, not a .whl file), since
wheels don’t generally include the setup.py file. In that case you want to
specify additional files to include with the MANIFEST.in file.

More details are available at
https://packaging.python.org/guides/using-manifest-in/