Hi all,

I'm wondering if it is possibly to build pre-release tags using only a
setup.cfg file? From
https://setuptools.readthedocs.io/en/latest/userguide/distribution.html#tagging-and-daily-build-or-snapshot-releases
it seems like this is possible via setup.py, but I was unable to find
anything related to setup.cfg. An abridged version of my setup.cfg file
looks like

[metadata]
name = tester_project
version = attr: tester_project.__version__

[bdist_wheel]
universal=1

[build-system]
requires =
  setuptools >= 40.9.0
  wheel
build-backend = setuptools.build_meta

Which I was building using

$ python -m build --sdist --wheel --outdir dist

Possibly this can be configured using the --config-setting flag but I have
been unable to get this to work or find any documentation on it. Ideally I
would be able to pass a string so I can build a dev version for testing
uploads to Test PyPI, e.g. "0.0.1devHASH"

Any info or references is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt