All,

I've been contacted by someone who wished to be unnamed but who is
concerned about the issues of a code of conduct and those who are
non-neurotypical. By non-neurotypical they mean people who have
autism, learning disabilities, tourette's disorder or other
neurological conditions which make social interactions difficult or
potentially fraught, both on and offline. In the OSM community I've
encountered a number of people who very likely are non-NT, and I've
seen them encounter difficulty socially.

The concern raised was several fold:

First that any statement about diversity include neurological just as
we do gender, race, background, etc. This is especially important
because for this population, the differences are hidden (unlike skin
color, for example), but are not by choice (such as political
beliefs).

Secondly, and I think even more importantly, that these issues be
taken into consideration when dealing with non-NT people. For example
in the mailing list CoC, one issue that I did not pick up on was that
the "first strike" rule is for a public admonishment. This can be
difficult for non-NTs for a few reasons suc-h as that they they may
not be aware of the problematic behavior, that if the mail is not
carefully worded that they may need an alternative behavior presented
or that yhey may perceive a public mail as form of punishment, which
can be highly anxiety provoking or potentially triggering.

Thirdly, as I mentioned briefly in the second point, many non-NTs may
not know or be able to fully process social cues. For example, they
may stand too close to someone, or speak too loudly, make comments
which would seem out of place or inappropriate, or just make someone
feel "uneasy".

Unfortunately there is a large stigma on neurological disorders (and a
more broad category of  "mental illnesses") which keeps these people
from speaking up publicly, or for some of them, from even getting a
diagnosis, meaning that they may not be able to self-identify.

I'd like to know what others thoughts are on this topic and how we can
act to support this segment of the OSM population.

- Serge