> On Sep 11, 2019, at 1:47 PM, Sander Striker <s.stri...@striker.nl> wrote:
>
> Apologies if I'm not posting to the right list, feel free to redirect me to
> dev@ if that is more appropriate.
>
> Sitting in a couple of sessions at ApacheCon NA I notice that one dimension
> of diversity is non-code contributions.
>
> I've observed that the advice to people that want to get involved is,
> paraphrased:
> - find a project that interests you
> - find something to do, like bug triage, or documentation, or organizing
> meetups, or... whatever the project needs
> - engage and do that

Yes, that is exactly how I would phrase it if someone asked me, with one
possible addition:  Get familiar with the project.  Learn how to install it,
what it’s used for.  The problems that it solves.

It’s impossible to contribute to a project if one doesn’t understand what it
does, and why.  The application domain.

> On Sep 11, 2019, at 1:47 PM, Sander Striker <s.stri...@striker.nl> wrote:
>
> Seeing that advice makes me realize we are now dealing with potential
> contributors with very different motivations.  While before contributions
> came in because someone had an itch to scratch (a bug to fix, a feature to
> add, ...) there are now also people that come in looking for something to
> do, where a project is not necessarily a starting point.  There is a
> different motivator, and these contributors are looking to apply their
> skillset in practice.
>
> If this is the case, I wonder if we can look at this more as a problem of
> supply and demand.  That is, by doing inventory of what projects need (bug
> triaging, documentation, user support, ...), making it much easier for
> people to find an area where they can apply their particular skills.  In
> other words a nice Community Insights project.

There’s this:
https://helpwanted.apache.org

I tried it a few years back.  Wanted to attract new contributors.  It didn’t
work out.  The people who ‘applied’ were expecting the experience to be like
getting hired for a regular job.  Where there’s an orientation, training, etc.

We’re all busy and only have the time to provide some mentoring.  One has to be
extraordinarily motivated, i.e. actually having a need for the project before
there’re willing to subject themselves to the steep learning curve of joining
an Apache project.

—
Shawn