chill wrote:

> So to limit the output to exactly -8dB I would want to disable the 6dB
> decrease (is that the same as enabling the 6dB increase?) and disable
> the 0.8dB increase, then set the mixer slider to 92%.  I guess a quick
> test with some connected speakers will confirm how that 6dB option
> works.

The 6dB option does toggle the way it's described, i.e. with a tick next
to the 'increase' option, the sound is louder.  But I do suspect it
should actually be described as a 'decrease' and the toggle should be
inverted, since that FAQ suggests 0dB is obtained with both output
options disabled.

Anyway, with the existing 6dB option enabled, the 0.8dB option disabled,
and the ALSA volume set to 92%, the sound is surprisingly loud through a
6 Ohm, 91dB Tannoy 611.  I'll wait to find out how they sound through
the ceiling speakers before rushing to get external supplies.