On 11/14/05, Stephen Rainey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I agree with you that it's pure marketing fluff and I guess you see that
> was my point. It just got me to thinking when I was reading about
> developer adoption.  I do like your lightweight ideas. It might be good
> to do something rather lightweight and then get some visibility on the
> website about Django working with Ajax. Or maybe just try to find
> another way to get some ajax visibility without building it into the
> core framework.

I'm not sure that "AJAX in the core" would be a good thing for Django,
for a couple reasons:

1. It really doesn't seem like it'd do anything other than provide
buzzword compliance, and people who make development decisions based
on buzzwords are probably better left to be Some Other Framework's
Problem anyway.

2. It doesn't necessarily fit with what Django is. I've written a
couple times that the main difference between Rails and Django is that
Rails is stronger for pure "applications" and Django is stronger for
content-oriented systems. In Rails' case, an integrated AJAX library
with Ruby hooks is a good idea, because people will use it often
enough. In Django's case I'm not so sure that all sorts of AJAX
built-ins would be as generally useful; also, Django currently doesn't
get in the way of integrating AJAX, and I think that's plenty good
enough for most people's needs.

> I work with a partner who was checking out django and ruby on rails. And
> his first comment was, it doesn't look like it supports ajax. To him
> ajax is highly important not because of eye candy but because we use it
> to make applications more usable. I was able to assure him that django
> does support ajax.

If it had to be explained to him that Django can support AJAX, then I
can't help thinking that your partner doesn't actually understand
AJAX. I don't mean to insult, but it sounds like he only understands
frameworks which have a "push here for AJAX" button which hides all
the complexity (and avoids a lot of the thinking).

> This is from a pure marketing perpesctive. I guess what I'm saying is
> that I just want to make sure that it doesn't get completely written off
> because of that. Being a programmer I'm more interested in the technical
> goodness, but I'd like to see this also address marketing concerns as
> well to gain more community interest and developer adoption.

My opinion is that quality is better than quantity; Django is
attracting a number of very good developers (who understand AJAX and
the proper use thereof) and that, more than anything, will drive its
adoption.

--
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
  -- George Carlin