Hi--

I was poking my head in from Plone and saw this thread.  We in the
Plone community definitely want to work with other projects on shared
infrastructure.  With Zope 2 doing so can be a bit of a pain, but now
that we are moving to Zope 3, code sharing should be pretty simple.
Zope 3 makes it very easy to adapt standalone code for use in Zope,
and, conversely, makes it easy to write Zope 3 code that exists in a
useful state outside of Zope 3.  So yes, by all means, we encourage you
to take a look at some of Zope's authentication solutions.

The current best practice Zope 2 authentication is done by a fairly new
package called PluggableAuthService (PAS).  I haven't used it myself,
but my understanding is that it is a very nice piece of work.  The PAS
source is here:

svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/PluggableAuthService/trunk

and there is a news group on gmane.org about PAS (comp.web.zope.pas).
People have started writing all sorts of PAS plug-ins (LDAP, Active
Directory, etc).  Zope 3 uses something called PAU (pluggable
authentication utility) that I am less familar with.

Geoff