> Completely removing umlauts etc. makes such a bad impression outside of
> the US! It's like writing "Adran Hlty" instead od "Adrian Holovaty".

Yes. I definitely agree.

> Say. do people in Finland also usually rewrite into ASCII like this:

Actually, in Finnish, no. I think (in URLs) that would be almost as bad
as removing the umlauts alltogether. (But, AFAIK they do this in some
european countries.)

To give an example of the problem, consider this title for example:
"Tämä on ääkkösiä sisältävä otsikko". Django slugifyes this
into "tm-on-kksi-sisltv-otsikko". That's practically unreadable (in
Finnish). A MUCH better version would be
"tama-on-aakkosia-sisaltava-otsikko".

I think that this problem applies in most european languages, too.
Like, say, Swedish, German and French.

Just my 0,02 e =)