Hi Chris... great write up.

my only thought was: why do you need multiple tables to store the row
level permissions?

Luke has recently submitted a 'GenericForeignKey' in
http://files.lukeplant.fastmail.fm/public/python/lp_tagging_app_0.1.zip

which may be of interest. it would allow you to store all the
information in  a single table then. (it stores the content-type of
the table as well)

other questions to ponder:

are you going to allow 'blanket' permissions user/group X is allowed
to do Y on ALL rows?
are you going to allow negativity ? ie.. person X is NOT allowed to
see row Y.

regards
Ian