On 19 Jun 2006, at 21:00, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> anyway, i suppose i will wait for you to elaborate on your
> reasoning in
> the wiki this evening.  :)

I've written up a proposal for how we can implement auto escaping
while hopefully keeping most people happy:

http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/AutoEscaping

It incorporates stuff from a whole bunch of prior discussions. In my
opinion the most important aspect is the use of special escapedstr
and escapedunicode subclasses to mark a string as having been already
escaped, meaning that the auto escaping mechanism knows if it should
kick in to action or not. This should also avoid double escaping, and
allow a decent level of finely grained control over the escaping
mechanism.

I'd like to get a branch going to explore this stuff properly. From
messing around with my own local code it seems like it should all
work, but there's a bunch of work that needs to be done to make
existing Django filters and templates auto escape compliant.

Cheers,

Simon