On 20 Jun 2006, at 15:11, Michael Radziej wrote:

> But, looking at the recent bugs in the Admin:
>
> 2006, __str__() output not escaped in breadcrumbs and filters
> 2152, username was not escaped
>
> Perhaps neither of this would be fixed with auto-escaping. But I
> want to
> emphasize that bugs like this happen all the time, are hard to spot
> and
> are inherently dangerous. If you escape too much, you'll spot it
> easily,
> and not much harm has been done.

This is exactly why I'm for auto escaping - these bugs sneak in all
over the place; they aren't something that only affects careless or
newbie developers. I bet there's a bunch hiding in the current Django
source code.

If we did have it as an opt-in thing rather than being turned on by
default we'd also have to include a bunch of stuff in the docs saying
"we really, really strongly suggest that you opt-in to this".

I'm actually on the fence as to having it on by default - my gut
feeling is that it's a good idea, since every framework ever that
hasn't done it has been plagued by XSS problems. That said, I don't
think we can get a really good feel for how it works in practise
until we can actually play with working code - which is why I want to
build it in a branch (until we're sure that it works nicely it
definitely shouldn't be inflicted on people following trunk).

Cheers,

Simon