noone said "forbid nothing".  i said "you don't need to forbid all '<'s",
which is what you proposed was a problem with a data validation take.

you would obviously forbid html in an HTMLSafeCharField, which does limit
user's input.  i'm just saying that in the vast, vast, vast majority of
form inputs, db fields, etc., html is an invalid input anyway, so this is
trivial restriction.

plus remember that this would be optional, per-field, and not the default.
 (ie, i'm not suggesting we modify the CharField to by default forbid
html)