Simon Willison wrote:
> In the absence of anything better than that, I think it's safe to
> assume that CGI environment variables should always be ASCII encoded.

Talking about QUERY_STRING... While the string itself is in ASCII it has
urlencoded data and there the encoding matters. As fas as I can see in
practice browsers tend to encode those data in the same encoding as the
page from where those links come. So for decoding urlencoded
QUERY_STRING I think it's reasonable to use DEFAULT_CHARSET.