I know you guys have discussed the problems with binary data in the
ORM. But I have never seen a very comprehensive explanation of why this
is so bad. I have 3million binary images in my current postgres cluster
and it works quite well.

I would love to use the ORM for managing some of these tables, but
currently see no ready option. Storing these on the filesystem is
simply not an option. The images are maintained transactionally and can
not be lost or out of sync with a table.

If possible, could someone explain or link to an explanation of why
bytea/blob objects aren't implemented? If I can't store binaries in the
database, I just can't use django. And I would really like to.