On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 08:36 -0700, Tyson Tate wrote:
> It'd be nice if .95 would take care of at least *some* of the bugs
> that have been piling up in Trac. I understand the few who have commit
> access are insanely busy, but I just can't fathom a .95 release with
> the current state of trunk.

OK, this is going to be my last post on this for today, at least. But
really! The way you phrase it, you would think nothing worked. Try to
develop a sense of perspective.

>  (Whatever happened to the bug-fix sprint?)
>
> It's a little disheartening to watch the Adium Trac and see tickets
> closed/resolved/fixed by the minute and then come to the Django Trac
> and watch the tickets pile up. (Yes, I know, different scope, etc
> etc.)

Well, let's see. A random sample from Trac... tickets from this month.
About 125 closed and 160 opened, in 26 days. Neither is a trivial number
and this has been a bit of a quiet month for ticket closing, since we've
all been busy for various reasons. Plus, pure numbers obviously don't
tell the whole story: some of the closed tickets have been very
difficult and necessary foundations for future work, regardless of
whether they scratch your particular itch or not; not every problem that
gets worked on has an associated ticket; those numbers don't count
tickets that we had interaction with -- reviewing patches, requesting
information, etc -- that were neither opened or closed this month; the
list goes on...

So I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make here.

> Seems like this is a decision between marketing and engineering: Do we
> stamp a release number on it to appease management or do we wait and
> put out a stable release with the features and changes that developers
> have requested?

Release management is a little more faceted than that. You do understand
that any Open Source project has multiple releases, right? Putting out
periodic releases to act as checkpoints, regardless of whether it is the
ultimate, be-all-and-end-all release has benefits beyond "appease
management". That's why they are called development releases. It's also
why they aren't called 1.0.

Malcolm