Hi Kilian,

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 22:40 +0200, Kilian CAVALOTTI wrote:
> On Thursday 27 July 2006 18:48, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > Aargh! Can you make a ticket with these details so that we don't lose
> > them, please (I have flagged this email to look at later, too).
>
> Sure. It's done as ticket #2438.
>
> > This --
> > the get_apps() and get_models() code -- is a slight hairy,
>
> :)
>
> > Thanks for doing the investigation you did, though. That helps narrow it
> > down a *lot*. It will help when I get some time to look at this. This is
> > exactly the information
>
> That's a pleasure to dig around in django code, as it's globally clear, and
> well structured, it's not too difficult to identify where the problems are
> located. But in that case, I'm banging my head against the fact that
> hasattr() is a python core function, and I can't figure out why the
> returned results depends on the server used. I'll try to investigate a
> little more and post my findings here, if any.

I was looking at this problem a bit more today and I must admit that I'm
a bit stumped at the moment. A few questions, though, which may help
narrow down the cause a bit (I cannot repeat the problem over here, so
hopefully you can test your failing case and we'll all be
enlightened)...

1. In the original django-users thread on this, you said you were
importing hostManage as dNA.hostManage, but in your example above, you
are only importing it directly (using the fact that '.' is on the
PYTHONPATH). Does the command- line test work if you import it using the
same qualified path as in your INSTALLED_APPS tuple?

2. If you remove dNA.zoneConf from the INSTALLED_APPS list, or move it
further down the list (if the former test isn't possible), does the
problem still occur?

3. One difference between the standard mod_python setup and the
environment that manage.py shell gives you is that the latter case puts
the /var/www/dNA/ directory on the Python path, whereas I suspect your
mod_python configuration will only have /var/www/ in your PythonPath?
(plus the standard system paths). Is this correct (in your
configuration)? Does the problem go away if you add / var/www/dNA/ to
the Python path directive?

4. Are the permissions in /var/www/dNA/hostManage/ exactly the same as
in dNA/zoneConf? In particular, does the webserver process have
permission to read the models.py file?

5. Are you using a hostManage/models.py file, or hostManage/models/...
files (in a directory)?

I am suspecting that there is some interaction between the permissions
on the files you have (*.py and/or *.pyc files) and the web server's
permissions to read those files.

Regards,
Malcolm