Howdy folks --

So it appears that the Django psycopg2 has a few issues that make it
operate differently than any other of the db backends.  There's a
paste of the django test suite output at http://django.pastebin.com/
778189 which shows 6 failures, but actually there's only two things
wrong:

1. The psycopg2 backend returns strings as unicode objects instead of
raw strings.  So for example::

File "/Users/jacob/WO/code/brave-new-world/django.trunk/tests/
modeltests/custom_columns/models.py", line ?, in
modeltests.custom_columns.models.__test__.API_TESTS
Failed example:
     p.last_name
Expected:
     'Smith'
Got:
     u'Smith'

2. The backend returns datetimes with attached timezone info instead
of naieve datetimes::

File "/Users/jacob/WO/code/brave-new-world/django.trunk/tests/
modeltests/basic/models.py", line ?, in
modeltests.basic.models.__test__.API_TESTS
Failed example:
     Article.objects.get(id__exact=8).pub_date
Expected:
     datetime.datetime(2005, 7, 31, 12, 30, 45)
Got:
     datetime.datetime(2005, 7, 31, 12, 30, 45,
tzinfo=<psycopg2.tz.FixedOffsetTimezone object at 0x17178f0>)

Now, I know that both behaviors are actually more correct than the
other backends, but these subtle differences between the psycopg2
adaptor and the other ones is really driving me nuts.

Are the any objections to changing the psycopg2 backend to behave the
same was as the other ones (knowing that it's actually a step
backwards)?  Eventually the right thing to do would be to make the
*other* backends behave this way, but that's all caught up with
unicodification, and I'd like to move towards consistency first, and
then correctness when it's ready.

Jacob