On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 02:09 +0000, Gary Wilson wrote:

> Out of curiosity, any one know for what reason using empty strings for
> CharFields is the Django convention?  Technically, isn't an empty
> string still data?  Isn't it a bit confusing that some fields get
> default values and others do not?  Explicit better than implicit?

Well, storing NULL vs Empty-string should consume just about the same
amount of data or the difference should be insignificant.

However, I think it empty-string was used due to the variations in how
databases handle NULL values in strings and how to handle the strings
['NULL','Null','nul']

not sure if I read that somewhere or came up with it on my own
though. :)

/Marc DM