Hi,

I have to start with a little background.

There's the still interesting issue of what media type you give
to your pages and whether to use html4 or xhtml. Large part of
Django seems to use xhtml, and I like it somehow better than
html, so I use it and give to browsers that accept it
application/xhtml+xml as media type (and to others I feed the
same input but call it text/html).

Now, when I use the great csrf middleware from contrib, it
outputs this error message when it deduces that there's an csrf
attack, and without any template around it:

<h1>403 Forbidden</h1><p>Cross Site Request Forgery detected.
Request aborted.</p>

If you try this with a firefox and media type
application/xhtml+xml, you only get a message that the server has
given us incorrect xhtml. And right so. So I changed it to:

xml:lang="en"><body><h1>403 Forbidden</h1><p>Cross Site Request

Now to my question:

What is the current policy? Should this output be xhtml conform
or not?

The point is, and that goes above the csrf message, I don't know
if it's a good idea or not to use xhtml at all. You need to call
it text/html for IE6 and before, but to get any benefit from xml
(i.e., to see your errors immediately and get a more rigid
interpretation from the browser), you need to call it
application/xhtml+xml at least to the browser that understand it.
But then you get interesting effects on stylesheets and
JavaScript: stylesheets are also interpreted a little bit
differently (e.g., case matters with xhtml but not with html;
java script is expected to use the namespace stuff) I have this
under control for myself, but I really don't know if it's a good
idea to propose xhtml in general.

Michael