Or perhaps you have a test server which is running the same codebase
as prod?

Yes.  We have a development server running 0.95 that matches our
production server.

Generally there hasn't been much different from 0.95 to trunk so I've
been keeping up to date with trunk on my workstation just to follow
along and read the source from time to time.

It's probably safer to use 0.95 and still follow along in a sandbox if
I wanted.

-Rob