On 1/11/07, Adrian Holovaty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 1/10/07, Honza Král <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > 1) migrate django to unicode aka big bang approach
> >   + cleanest
> >   - most work
> >   - may break some code
> >
> > 2) migrate newforms to normal byte strings
> >   + doesn't break anything
> >   - waste of good work
> >   - not ellegant (never give in, never surrender ;) )
> >
> > 3) update the rest of django to correctly detect and de/encode the
> > strings using settings.DEFAULT_ENCODING where needed
> >   - lot of work that will be thrown away later
> >   - messy
>
> I'm a huge proponent of moving all of Django to use Unicode strings
> internally. The newforms library is my first experiment in making
> everything Unicode, in (to my knowledge) the cleanest way possible: It
> accepts bytestrings *or* Unicode objects for all input, and it always
> outputs Unicode.
>
> My goal is to see how the everything-is-Unicode approach goes, and it
> has been pretty good so far. As encoding/decoding bugs have been
> detected, we've fixed them pretty promptly.
>
> If the newforms library does not handle "funky character" input
> correctly in *any* case, please report that as a bug immediately, and
> I or one of the many great patch contributors will fix it. We've
> already done this in several cases (tickets #3266, #3153, #3008), and
> the library already is quite resilient when it comes to "funky" input.

yes, but the rest of django is not as resilient to funky input, so you
need an extra layer to put between neforms and the rest, so that you
can deal with the funky yourself - template filters for example don't
handle unicode well...

> Regarding moving *all* of Django to use Unicode strings internally,
> that's a separate issue. For now, let's focus on making newforms as
> good as possible, learning from whatever mistakes we make. Once
> newforms is "done," we'll be in good shape to move the rest of Django
> to Unicode.

As I mentioned earlier - newforms are fine, its about the rest of the
system - we have to modify the rest of django to be able to cope with
the unicode outputted by the newforms library, if we do that, the full
unicode support seems only a step away...

> Finally, there's one more force at work here, of which people should
> be aware. We should release Django 1.0 sooner rather than later, and
> while making big changes (such as moving the whole framework to
> Unicode) is certainly worthwhile, each big change like this pushes
> back 1.0. Let's balance the perfectionism with the deadlines.

No argument here

--
Honza Král
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]