I've also given this some consideration -- I haven't found any
information on this either.

It would be nice if the DB API could make use of the cache system
(memcached) if you attempt the lookup by ID.  Synchronization becomes
more of a problem... and it certainly removes transactional safety
from the system if implemented improperly.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of setup under Django?

 - Ben