Hello Group,

I would like to contribute an OpenID consumer auth backend and
wonder whether it is good style for authenticate() to raise an
exception
or not?

The question is motivated by the fact that OpenID authentication
is a two phase procedure and authenticate() is bound to returning
a valid user or None. Thus I cannot interpret None as fault, which
would be bad style inbound signaling anyway.

Two solutions come to mind: raising exceptions or modelling an
interface within token where authenticate is declared as
authenticate(token).

In fact my question could have been: How bad style is it to modify
the token on an autheticate(token) call.

Any suggestions?

Boris