On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 20:18 +0100, Thomas Steinacher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What is the current status of the ROOT_VIEW setting?
>
> Are there any plans to implement this?
>
> I am +1 on this, because it would allow me to use one Django instance
> for multiple subdomains, without wasting system ressources. Also,
> this is more flexible than e.g. a HostURLResolver (see http://
> code.djangoproject.com/ticket/1192).

One of the big items that stalled this was reverse URL resolution would
no longer work. So we were back to the situation of having to put the
URL for referring to an object in multiple places so that
get_absolute_url() and related things worked. No strong conclusion was
reached, though

At the time, I thought this might be survivable by requiring the class
to have a "reverse resolver" method as well (you gave it a view function
and params and it gave you back the URL), then we could write a default
handler that acted on urlpatterns as the current thing does and its
reverse method could introspect the reg-exps just like the current stuff
does.

Right at the moment, though, this probably isn't the highest priority
item we have on our plates leading up to 1.0 (its not a backwards
incompatible change, since writing something to process urlpatterns
would be easy), but it would be nice to revisit it if we have time.

Regards,
Malcolm