> Perhaps save() could be change to actually do this:
> (As I started writing my own DB-abstraction-layer once, I know this can
> become very handy)
> def save(self): # simplified
>   if self.id:
>     self._update()
>   else:
>     self._insert()

Yes, yes! That's exactly what I am trying to suggest for so long...

Model.save() which uses Model.add() and Model.add() can be used
separately (and independently).

> > Adding a new entry
> > and updating an existing one are _different_ operations and the should
> > not be *automagically* fused together. Even underlying SQL is
> > separate!
>
> Here you are wrong. It really should be fused, as this makes things
> really easy. But I think allowing the user to explicit use UPDATE or
> INSERT would be a nice feature.

They should be fused alright, but application writers should have
separate "INSERT only" option. (Maybe, you didn't get the sarcasm ;-)
)

Thanks David! It feels nice when someone finally understands the point
(esp. after being mistake for "wrong-list-guy" :-) ).

Cheers!
arvind1