Hey Russ,

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 08:55 +0900, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On the users list, Gijs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> has raised the idea
> of dynamic fixtures. For example, Rails allows the use of embedded
> Ruby in a fixture file, so that:
>
> <% for i in 1..1000 %>
> fix_<%= i %>:
>   id: <%= i %>
>   name: guy_<%= 1 %>
> <% end %>
>
> would define a fixture with 1000 instances of an object.

I have to ask a dumb question first: what is this sort of thing useful
for? More importantly, why can't it be done by using existing our
existing serialisation framework and serialising to a string buffer?

You've written something that clearly has a lot of thought (or, at
least, a lot of typing) behind it, but I can't evaluate it because I
think I'm too stupid to understand what hole this is filling.

Can you use sock puppets, small words and short sentences to fill in
some blanks for me? :-)

Then I can go back and read this email and put it into context.

Thanks,
Malcolm