On 3/30/07, topper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just (maybe stupidly on my behalf) spent an hour digging through
> Django code to find out why Django thought the template at $HOME/web/
> my_site/templates/home_page.html doesn't exist. The answer is that I
> in the TEMPLATE_DIRS tuple need to to use the 'full' full path, /users/
> topper/web/my_site/templates rather than $HOME/web/my_site/templates.
>
> Now, the comment clearly states that you have to use absolute paths,
> but in my mind $HOME *is* an absolute path, but maybe that's wrong?

you are wrong, HOME is an environment variable that exists on unix
environments, it can be altered by the user and is not secure.

> I'm no unix expert and maybe there is a security issue involved in
> allowing the use of environment variables, but if not, do you think it
> could be a good idea to allow the use of $HOME? in settings.py? It
> would make code somewhat more portable and help users not make
> 'stupid' mistakes like the one I did.

More portable? What about windows users?

> I'll open a ticket and perhaps write a patch too if you think this is
> a good idea. Alternatively, a small warning in Template-loader
> postmortem when users use $HOME would be a great idea, IMO.

if someone uses a shell expression in a python file, he cannot expect
a warning, that's just wrong. Would you expect a warning if you would
use something like nl2br( "string with ".$var ) in your code?

If you want to construct the path dynamically, use python. After all,
that's one of the reasons settings.py is just a python file.

I am personally using something like this
import os
os.path.dirname( __file__ ) + '/templates'

in my settings, that way I can move everything around and not worry
about a thing.

--
Honza Kr�l
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]