If the only concern here is that debugging is a powerful feature that
needs to be carefully controlled, then surely a setting to enable it is
the right way to go?  After all, many security experts will tell you
that the traceback handler we have now is a security hole, not because
it lets you execute code, but because it reveals inner workings of the
server, which can expose vulnerabilities.

Production servers need to have their settings carefully set.  That is
true now, and it will be true if we add a DEBUGGER=True setting to
enable this more powerful feature.  I say we add the power and let the
administrators control where it appears.

--Ned.