Hi all,
I just started working for a major Czech Internet company, we decided
to abandon PHP in favor of Python + Django for all new web
development. The first project is a big CMS-like site.

For this site (and future use on other projects) we need a comments
app that would work almost the same way the current app does with
minor adjustments, features:
  - one model for anonymous and logged-in users (possible
anonymous/logged in users only configuration on the parent object)
  - rating (karma) should be a separate app (attachable to any object,
with possible configurable flags (like slashdot for comments -
funny/interesting/... artistic/funny/useful for photos etc. )), users'
karma will be calculated from rating of all their objects (blog
entries, comments, photos etc.) with different weight attributed to
different models (one good article is worth 10 good comments etc.)
  - newforms support
  - discussion locking/disabling (from parent object), moderation, report spam
  - optional photo attachment

I believe we could make it backwards compatible with current implementation.

We will be writing these apps anyway, is there any chance this could
get merged into trunk some day? We have no problem committing to
maintaining the features in the long run - we will have to do that
anyway internally, it would only make things easier for us to do that
in django and avoid maintaining our own patch set...

I know Jacob was planning on rewriting the comments framework to work
with newforms. Is there any work done there?

How does this look to everybody, anybody interested?
comments are most welcome.
Honza

--
Honza Král