Carole,
Weren't you involved with the multiple-db branch before? With regards to
using branches someone on this list advised me to have a look at SVK (sorry
don't have  a link to hand). I've looked at it and it's a nice way to go for
working with SVN. You may be well served to have a look yourself as it
covers all of the functionality of SVN in addition to making merges/branches
etc less painful.
Ben

--
Regards,