On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 13:55 -0400, Marty Alchin wrote:
> On 5/18/07, Malcolm Tredinnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > No third-party app should expect to be installed in django.contrib,
> > because that would require app users to modify their pristine (and
> > possibly unwritable) Django source. Presumably django-values was written
> > that way as some kind of subtle hint that he wants to include it in
> > contrib/ in this case. It would have been better if it could be
> > installed standalone, though, I agree.
>
> Well, I did expect it to be considered for inclusion into the official
> distribution, and I won't pretend that it certainly wasn't subtle.
> Admittedly, I hadn't considered people using it in "real"
> installations prior to a judgement regarding its inclusion, so I wrote
> it for core developers to test it out, and I thought django.contrib
> would be acceptable for that.

I was partially joking, don't worry. However, it's probably best to
write it for the third-party case in any case, because if we say "no" to
inclusion in contrib, it will still work without changes.

Something for the future/next time. :-)

Don't forget that responses like this are partly written for the archive
so that we can optimistically assume that the next person to walk this
path will have either read the archives (unlikely, since hunting out a
message based on it's intent is impossible) or we can supply them with a
clue-bat with the relevant URL to the archives engraved on the handle.

Cheers,
Malcolm