On 5/26/07, simonbun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Right, it slipped my mind that some people read these messages via
> email. It made sense to me in the groups.google.com web interface
> though. That way people didn't have to read the first 5 words of the
> topic before realizing it was spam. I "Report Spam"ed each message as
> well, so maybe some good comes from that.

On top of that, the 'reply and rename' approach is potentially
counterproductive. Spam checking algorithms are generally based on
Bayesian logic - combined probabilities of keywords in the message.
You are a contributor of ham messages django-users and django-dev, so
your name and email address is associated with ham content - but there
are now messages in the system with your email address and spam
content. This acts to give the keywords in those spam messages extra
credibility, because they have your email address associated with
them.

In effect, by replying, you are poisoning the well.

I (and the other list managers) go through the archives and purge spam
messages when we see them; we might get a day or so behind, but you
should see that spam messages don't hang around for very long.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)