On 6/1/07, Malcolm Tredinnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Let's ask the different question: what's the use case for a pre_create
> signal that isn't already possible with pre_save?

In my case it's a matter of enforcing privileges.  Highly granular
pirvileges can include "create" among other things, and allowing or
preventing this is important.  (Not trying to patronize you here...
just spelling out my reasoning) Since there are multiple paths that
allow object creation, it's primarily a DRY concern... and since some
of the objects are OneToOnes, I can't simply rely on the primary key
(alas).

I'd be willing to bet that there are other use cases too, but this is
the one that I've run into.

> I think it works if you have a tri-state variable, instead of a boolean.

I like it.

> I haven't done any profiling of this over the current system, though. It
> saves time slightly in the saving of an existing object case. Needs
> testing to know how much, though.

True, but it also offloads some of this burden to the application
servers (of which there are likely many) and relieves the database of
a small bit of extra processing.

 - Ben