Regarding the thoughts on creating a "thumbnails" folder, I just want
to make it clear that we could change the default for template
filters, but the contrib.thumbnails code does *not* enforce a specific
file/directory structure for thumbnails (and I'd rather not introduce
this restriction).

So we are only discussing cleaning up thumbnails created from the
filters. If someone is using the lower level thumbnail object then
they have a responsibility to clean it up themselves :).